Freddye T. Davy Honors College : W.E.B. Du Bois Honor Society
W.E.B. Du Bois Honor Society
19th Annual W.E.B. Du Bois Invitational Honors Conference
A Key for Success!
Thursday, March 24, 2016
This conference is designed for pre-college students in grades 8-12, school staff, and parents.
There will also be workshops for parents and school staff.
Why Have Another Honor Society?
- One size does not fit all, especially when it comes to providing programs and motivation for students who have potential or who should be easily classified in DuBois' "talented tenth". Across the country, usually where there is just one honor society, the presence of African American and other minority students in honors classes and honor society programs is woefully sparse.
- A national, non-profit academic honors organization for pre-college students, the DuBois Honor Society recognizes, encourages, and promotes scholastic achievement, leadership development, and active involvement in positive community activities that solidly promote life-long learning skills.This organization will reinforce the concept of honors and affirm that excelling academically is appropriate, desirable and rewarding.
- The mission and program of the DuBois Honor Society is implemented through local chapters that operate under a national standard outlined in the organization's constitution, but it does so in a manner that is effective and appropriate to meet the needs of each local community and constituency. Variety, cultural sensitivity, ingenuity, and resourcefulness are strongly encouraged.
- The Society's constitution strictly prohibits discrimination on the basis off race, color, sex, religion, national origin, physical disability, or social status.
For Whom is the Honor Society?
- Those who are reluctant to choose to participate in traditional honors programs
- Those who have a cumulative scholastic average of 85% or "B" or 3.0 on a 4.0 scale or the equivalent standard of excellence
- Junior Chapters - 7th and 8th graders
- Senior Chapters - 9th, 10th, 11th, and 12th graders
The W.E.B. DuBois Honor Society:
- Creates community
- Promotes academic excellence
- Encourages a strong sense of pride through its recognition of student achievement
Goals For Its Members:
- Maintain honor roll status
- Refine character
- Promote leadership and service
- Maintain high principles and values
- Increase scholarship opportunities
Want to Establish a Chapter of the National Du Bois Honor Society?
Please contact us at:
The National W.E.B. DuBois Honor Society
P.O. Box 6174