Freddye T. Davy Honors College
A Plus (A+) Residential Program for Pre-College Students
Program Dates: Sunday, July 13 - Saturday, July 19, 2014
The A+ Summer Residential Program is a one-week program sponsored by the Freddye T. Davy Honors College and is specifically designed for 8th to 12th graders who want to engage in an adventurous and exciting summer experience. With a learning theme of OUR HISTORY, OUR COMMUNITIES, & MY FUTURE A+ staff will engage participants in the A+ essentials of Academics & Activities, Preparation & Performance, Learning, Understanding, and Service.
Enrollment is limited. Cost: $650. A $100 non-refundable deposit must accompany the application.
Last Year's Program
Building from our theme, Building a Better Me, we led participants through learning activities that included:
- Time talking with the elders (senior citizens) of Carver Memorial Church and Doris Miller Community Center of Newport News, VA;
- Violin lessons from Mrs. Megan Jenifer-Harris;
- Fun fitness activities led by Dr. Kwame Brown of Move Theory;
- Money management lessons via Cashflow for Kids led by Ms. Denise Griffin;
- Self-identity and peer pressure lessons from Mrs. Jelisa Sinn-Braswell;
- Visits to the Hampton University Museum, The Newsome House of Newport News, and the Casemate Museum at Fort Monroe;
- Academic Quiz Bowl;
- And much more!
To capture some of the highlights of the week, please review our online magazine created by Freddye T. Davy Honors College student & A+ counselor, Myiah Davis, and the FUNction Method video produced by Move Theory.
Hopefully, next year, your 13 -17 year old can join us for our A+ Summer Program!